Party Leader Hon John Briceño has toured villages across the length and breadth of this jewel of ours, meeting with villagers as far south as Oxtacha and Dolores, Pueblo Viejo and Santa Elena and as far north as Consejo Shores, San Estevan and Xaibe. Everywhere he goes the cry is the same, “We are tired of being ignored and disrespected by this UDP Administration. The cry is even louder from those UDP controlled village councils as their chief complaint is, “We get absolutely no support from our UDP Standard Bearer or Area Representative.”
Look at the facts…it was the People’s United Party that saw the need to move our villages towards autonomy and self-management. The PUP drafted and legislated the Village Council Act and in December of 2000 made crucial amendments to the act giving more autonomy to our villages. We in the PUP will be the first to admit that the Act needed further amendments, needed to be perfected. So here we are in 2019, coming to the villages across Belize who have had their Water Board taken over by rabid, dishonest UDP cronies who have mismanaged the funds and exploited the villagers.
We meet villagers who have seen their village lands given away to UDP fanatics who do not even reside in their village. One such case remains before the courts as the people of Cotton Tree in Cayo South did NOT sit by to simply accept the exploitation. They are fighting back! We come to the villages that have no access to adequate healthcare, whose sporting facilities and parks are overgrown and unkempt. We come to the villages that have seen no expansion in their economy but rather the rapid disappearance of their way of life and small family farms. Jobs and educational opportunities are limited or non-existent.
It is at this critical time that the PUP, as the next government, come to our villages utilizing the theme, “Respect Wi Village, Restoring Integrity, Autonomy and Service.” It is the Commitment of the Hon John Briceño and the next PUP government to put in place the following plans as it pertains to our villages:
- Respect and Support the Autonomy of the Village by putting in place the proper legislation.
- Respect the Authority of the Village Leaders more specifically, the Council, the Community Health Workers and Alcaldes where applicable.
- Respect the duly elected council by ensuring that the Water Boards and Lots Committee answer to and report to the Council who in turn will answer to and report to the Villagers.
- Restore integrity and accountability to the use of community funds especially those funds coming from the Water Board.
- Improve access to quality healthcare in the communities by further training and certifying community health workers while increasing their stipends and privileges.
- Improve police presence and security in the villages.
- Respect the farmers by improving their road access and infrastructure in the village and farm roads.
This UDP Government has abused the good will of our villagers. The Prime Minister has gone on record berating us as peasants. It was Rt. Hon. George Price who admonished us to get up and work. Yes PM, we are peasants. This peasant revolution is on the move and will take an active role in ridding Belmopan and this country of yourself and your bank of criminals who have disparaged, raped, plundered and ripped this country blind.
In this village council cycle which ends on July 28, the villages across this country will continue to vote for Progress and Development. They will continue to vote for Equal Opportunities. They will continue to vote for Honesty and Real Representation. They will continue to vote overwhelmingly for the PUP as has been the case in the first two weeks of the Village Council Elections. The PEASANT REVOLUTION in a single voice will continue to say, “RESPECT BEGINS NOW.’